[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
AskMisterWizard.com • View topic - How much does it cost?

How much does it cost?

Generation, use, and measurement of electrical energy. Solar power, wind power, green energy, electric utility billing and practices, etc. Always accompany your posts with an appropriate and descriptive "SUBJECT" line. Off-topic posts will be deleted.

How much does it cost?

Postby yosemitesteve » 02 Mar 2012 22:25

I just explored your articles and movies about your solar power system. Very intesting! I wish I had that setup and I do have room for one. I hope you don't mind my asking. How much did it cost?

-YosemiteSteve-

yosemitesteve

Re: How much does it cost?

Postby bbosen » 14 May 2012 19:59

Well, the total cost for the system as you see it was about....

Solar Panels (200 Watts each) $400.00
Charge controller $220.00
Storage Battery $ 80.00
Inverter (2000 Watt) $200.00
Pavillion (structure holding everything up over my patio) $2000.00

Obviously the big expense was in the "pavilion", and you could save a lot of money by mounting your panels on your roof or someplace else that wouldn't require new construction.

All of this now generates electricity that's worth about U.S. $0.20 daily. As such, it doesn't make much sense as an economic alternative to purchasing power by conventional means. I maximize this value by charging up my electric bicycle, which I use for basic, local transportation instead of driving my car. This saves me about $50.00 per month in gasoline consumption, and in that sense, it is a somewhat better investment. But for me, the main value is in preparation for emergencies and just general peace of mind.
bbosen
Site Admin

Return to Electricity