[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
AskMisterWizard.com • View topic - Netbook Ethernet to Linksys with ethernet wire

Netbook Ethernet to Linksys with ethernet wire

Wired Local Area Network Topics, Questions, and Answers. If your issue is contained or best described within the context of your own wired LAN (or the wired portion of a LAN that also includes wireless technologies) in your own home or small office, or relates to equipment that creates or manages wired LANs within homes or small offices, then it is welcome here.
Forum rules
Welcome to the AskMisterWizard.com "Wired LANs" Forum!

This is a friendly community. Please make sure your posts are helpful and focused on Wired LAN issues. Please choose and respect concise, descriptive "Subject" lines. Although it's OK to promote your own interests and services if it's done in a way that's helpful to our readers (and if it fits the overall "Wired LANs" focus of this forum), posts that include blatant "Spam" will be deleted. Any message that is deemed disruptive of the hosting system, hosting network, or our reading community will get you banned from these forums.

Netbook Ethernet to Linksys with ethernet wire

Postby fernando » 01 Jun 2010 13:44

Hello

I hope you pardon my bad english. 1 year ago I buy a new netbook small computer and it is very nice to be so small and light in weight. I use it always. Mostly I use wifi with it and its always ok. It has ethernet connector too.

But when I visit my father he has no wifi. Only wired ethernet. How to connect? He has Linksys router with 4 ports. All 4 ports in use already so I can unconnect 1 for a short while? Is it ok to unconnect 1 ethernet wire for a short while and use it with my netbook then connect it back later for my father?

Thank you and please pardon my bad english.

fernando

Re: Netbook Ethernet to Linksys with ethernet wire

Postby bbosen » 01 Jun 2010 14:42

Hi Fernando, and welcome to our forums! Don't worry about your ability to describe your trouble in English; your message is clear.

You can almost certainly just temporarily unplug one of the Ethernet cables that your father is using. While it is unplugged, you can probably connect your Netbook into the empty connector, and it will probably give you Internet access. Later, when you are done, you can disconnect your Netbook and reconnect the original Ethernet cable for your father.

Of course, whatever equipment your father normally uses through that connection will be temporarily isolated while it is disconnected. It will probably be restored to full, working order when you reconnect the cable, but it may be necessary for him to "re-boot" or restart (power down / power up) that equipment after you reconnect it.

You didn't say whether or not you already have an Ethernet cable. You could always use the disconnected cable that your father has been using (you might want to make your disconnection from the far end, away from the Linksys router, and just hook your netbook to the loose end). If you prefer to buy your own ethernet cable, then almost any Ethernet cable of ordinary, common type should work. You can get background information on Ethernet cables from the video clips here:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/EZINE/Ca ... Cables.htm

Perhaps you can help your father. If he is already using all 4 of the Ethernet connectors on his Linksys router, then he will soon be inconvenienced when his needs expand. A simple, inexpensive "Ethernet Switch" or "Ethernet Hub" will solve this problem, expanding his network with extra connectors that will work pretty much like those he already has. You can learn all about Ethernet Switches here:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/EZINE/Et ... gments.htm

If he installs an Ethernet switch as described above, he (and you) will always have extra connectors and you won't need to disconnect anything.

I hope this helps!

-Bob-
bbosen
Site Admin

Great post! I have been going round in circles, trying to fi

Postby Reampempode » 12 Jan 2011 20:18

I have been going round in circles, trying to find this information! Thanks so much, this is very helpful, keep posting!
Reampempode

Return to Wired LANs