[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
AskMisterWizard.com • View topic - WiFi Gaming Adapter Linksys WGA54G Help!

WiFi Gaming Adapter Linksys WGA54G Help!

Wireless Local Area Network ("WiFi") Topics, Questions, and Answers. If your issue is contained or best described within the context of your own wireless LAN (or the WiFi portion of a LAN that also includes wired technologies) in your own home or small office, or relates to equipment that creates or manages wireless LANs within homes or small offices, then it is welcome here.
Forum rules
Welcome to the AskMisterWizard.com "Wireless LANs" Forum!

This is a friendly community. Please make sure your posts are helpful and focused on WiFi or Wireless LAN issues. Please choose and respect concise, descriptive "Subject" lines. Although it's OK to promote your own interests and services if it's done in a way that's helpful to our readers (and if it fits the overall "WiFi" focus of this forum), posts that include blatant "Spam" will be deleted. Any message that is deemed disruptive of the hosting system, hosting network, or our reading community will get you banned from these forums.

WiFi Gaming Adapter Linksys WGA54G Help!

Postby kalamazorkus » 24 May 2010 18:54

Hello Mr Wizard!

I have a Linksys WGA54G Wireless Gaming Adapter. I got it working with my XBOX ok, but now I want to use it to bridge my desktop PC ethernet port into my mom's WiFi like I do with my XBOX. I saw someplace on your site a movie about this where you said some gaming adapters can only hook to 1 device. Is my WGA54G one of those that cant be expanded?

kalamazorkus

Re: WiFi Gaming Adapter Linksys WGA54G Help!

Postby bbosen » 24 May 2010 19:43

Kalamazorkus:

Thanks for asking. I have good news and bad news. First the bad news.

Your Linksys WGA54G Wireless Gaming Adapter is limited so that it will bridge just one single device at a time. I think this was done on purpose to "cripple" the device, probably in the hope that you would be forced to buy two of them!

For the benefit of others reading this post in the future, I'll point out that the video clips to which you refer are probably those commencing here:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/EZINE/Ad ... llPage.htm

Now for the good news.

You should be able to insert a wired NAT router after your WGA54G, and, just like any other NAT router situation, a brand new, additional IP subnet will be created and multiplexed onto the single bridged connection. Your WGA54G will think it is connected to a single Ethernet device (the NAT router), which will satisfy the restrictions of its crippled logic. But thereafter you can connect your desktop PC, your XBOX, and any reasonable mix of additional Ethernet devices into the LAN ports of the new router. Note that compatible wired NAT routers are available VERY inexpensively; I've seen some at Fry's for less than $20.00 each.

You can learn all of the principles behind NAT routers from the video clips at these pages:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/EZINE/NAT/Nat.htm

I hope this helps!

-Bob-

kalamazorkus wrote:
I have a Linksys WGA54G Wireless Gaming Adapter. I got it working with my XBOX ok, but now I want to use it to bridge my desktop PC ethernet port into my mom's WiFi like I do with my XBOX. I saw someplace on your site a movie about this where you said some gaming adapters can only hook to 1 device. Is my WGA54G one of those that cant be expanded?
bbosen
Site Admin

Postby victoria » 11 Feb 2012 12:38

Thanks a lot !! I really get great volume of information from your post.

[url=http://www.trispec.com/en/about-us.php]Engineering Design Process[/url]
victoria

Postby fernando » 21 Feb 2012 12:57

Yes this worded for me also. Thank you Mr Wizard! Now I use my old gaming adapter from again with success!
Fernando
fernando

Return to Wireless LANs